What is a Private Health Information Statement?
The Private Health Information Statement (PHIS) is a summary of the key features of your cover in the government’s standard format.
The PHIS is designed to help you understand what is on your cover and compare your cover to others available using privatehealth.gov.au.
History of the PHIS
The PHIS replaced the old Standard Information Statement in 2019 as the standardised government explanation of your health cover.
What information is on the PHIS?
- The gross premium (the full cost of your cover without rebates, discounts or Lifetime Health Cover loading)
- The inclusions, restrictions and exclusions on your hospital cover
- Your excess if you need to go to hospital
- Waiting periods for the cover (but not if you have served them or not)
- Extras inclusions and exclusions, benefits and examples of benefits
- Whether your cover exempts you from the Medicare Levy Surcharge
What information is not on the PHIS?
The following information is not on the blue PHIS but is on Your Cover Summary that we will send to RBHS members every year.